Below are the relevant notes from the Environmental Advisory Committee (emphasis added):
Discussion was held on the Ice Lake Development Project. Several questions were raised.
- Where are the meeting minutes for an authorization of the township engineer to produce a plan to develop the property?
- Why was the Environmental Advisory Council not consulted?
- The extensive use of the property does not seem well thought out.
- The trail and parking area are too close to adjoining property.
- While the septic is outside the 50' buffer for an Exceptional Value waterway, it seems too close in practice. With the high water table and slope this seems a poor way to protect the watershed.
- Flush toilets and a well seem excessive for the location.
- Soil is not conducive to percolation for the septic, pervious surface parking, road, raingarden and trails.
- Pervious surfaces require twice yearly maintenance (vacuuming) by a licensed contractor. There will be a large cost to build and maintain this park.
- Is there a demonstrated need for this extensive development?
- Has PARC been consulted to coordinate with their plans for adjoining Seven Pines Park which is part of the Regional Park Land?
- In general, the proposal does not seem well thought out or the best use of funds. Access across the stream to connect to the existing trail seems more useful.
What are your thoughts? Does Barrett Township need another park to build and maintain? Please post your comment below!